In June of 1907, a group of 16 people, who had met for a month of home-based worship services under the leadership of Rev. Stanley Ross Fisher, answered the call placed on their hearts by the Lord to organize a Church in the southwestern section of Los Angeles.
These 16 people began meeting for regular services and prayer meetings in temporary spaces until they settled on the corner of Washington Boulevard and Van Ness Avenue in Arlington Heights. There they built their first Church home as the Church of the Messiah (Congregational). During their 47 years in Arlington Heights, God was faithful in and through the ministry and fellowship of the congregation.
In 1954, under the leadership of Rev. Dr. Harry R. Butman, the Church of the Messiah relocated from its home in Arlington Heights to Westchester on the corner of West Manchester and Rayford, building a Sanctuary that has been the Church home for the past 67 years. Over the decades, 10 pastoral ministries have led this Church and thousands of people have worshipped and served here. For over 114 years, God has been faithful.
Today, we continue as a Family of believers in the ministry that God began with those 16 in 1907. We are so grateful for God’s goodness upon us and continue in our work to know Him more and to make Him known.